Since 1985, hundreds of volunteers and interns have contributed thousands of hours to our work, which would simply not be possible without the time, talent, and dedication of these generous individuals. We welcome new ways to involve interns and volunteers to help us reach our goals.
IDEX receives many more applications than available positions. Due to the large number of applicants, we can not accept phone calls about volunteering. Please follow the email application process below. Our priority is to find the best match for our needs. Before applying please be aware of the following:
- All positions are in IDEX’s San Francisco office. We do not offer international/overseas internships.
- Only apply if you are based in the San Francisco Bay Area or planning to be in the area for at least 3 months (except for fundraising and special pro-bono projects).
- All intern and volunteer positions are unpaid.
- We cannot offer relocation assistance or reimbursement.
- Office hours are generally from 9am to 5pm, Monday through Thursday. We need interns and volunteers during regular office hours.
- In general, volunteers must be able to commit to a weekly schedule of 4 to 6 hours for a period of 3 to 6 months.
- Interns must be able commit to a minimum of 8 to 16 hours per week for a period of 3 to 12 months during regular office hours.
- IDEX does not offer full-time internships.
- Internships may be connected to a course of study. IDEX can assist in processing paperwork towards credit or grants.
- Necessary training, supervision and evaluation will be provided for volunteers and interns.
IDEX is looking to fill the following positions:
No current vacancies.
Compose a cover letter that includes your name and contact information (email, phone, and address) and answers to the following questions:
- How did you hear about IDEX?
- If you are not currently based in the San Francisco Bay Area, are you planning to be in the area for at least a three month period? Please detail your plans.
- Describe any experiences or background that may relate to volunteering/interning at IDEX.
- What do you hope to gain from volunteering/interning with IDEX?
- What do you hope to contribute through your internship/volunteer project?
- When could you start volunteering/interning? When would you plan to complete your internship/volunteer project? For how many days/hours per week?
- Please list any languages, other than English, that you have written or verbal proficiency with.
- Please list any countries you have traveled, worked, or lived in, and for how long.
Email your cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. If you are applying to assist with Spanish translations, include your translations of these two samples with your application. We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 10 business days.