You can help defend maize in Mexico!
“To defend maize is to defend the right to food, the right to remain owners of the seeds that ancestral peoples have inherited.”
Maize, or corn, is one of the most important grains in the world. But maize is under threat in Mexico, where the plant is indigenous.
The Bad News: Despite legislation that restricts genetically-modified (GM) maize there, Monsanto and other trans-national industrial agriculture companies and the Mexican government are pushing for genetically-modified maize cultivation.
Losing native varieties in the very country from which maize comes represents a fundamental threat in the global fight against GMOs. We cannot allow the continued invasion of “big ag” on the land and lives of peasant farmers, nor can we allow it to dictate how all of us around the world eat.
The Good News: The Collective Action of Maize, an alliance of 53 members including farmers, local and national civil society organizations, activists, and environmentalists, is fiercely combatting GM maize intrusion by filing a collective action to permanently deny the release and planting of GM maize in all of Mexico. A court case is pending. Indigenous-led organizations in Mexico are also protecting indigenous varieties of maize cultivation and promoting other sound agroecological practices.
The Mexico Maize Solidarity Collaborative Fund was created to support the efforts of the Collective and indigenous-led organizations in Mexico. The Fund will focus on defending maize through:
- providing legal support in the Collective’s pending court case;
- supporting public awareness campaigns about the dangers of genetically-modified maize in Mexico; and
- supporting indigenous knowledge in cultivating local maize such as and agroecological practices and seed keeping.
Act now! You can help defend maize in Mexico, and for us all!
- Send a message of solidarity – use the comments box below to share your support!
- Learn more – download more background reading about the history and current status of defense of maize in Mexico.
- Donate to the Mexico Maize Solidarity Collaborative Fund here!
- Sign a global petition to halt large-scale planting of GMO corn in Mexico on the website of La Unión de Científicos Comprometidos con la Sociedad (The Union of Scientists Committed to Society).
- Let your friends and family know what’s happening in Mexico using the share buttons below.