The Buen Vivir Fund is the collective response of IDEX (soon to be Thousand Currents) and our partners to the need for a truly transformative brand of impact investing. Together, we are designing forms of investment that support grassroots economic initiatives to build wealth, community power and well-being.
Based on the concept of buen vivir—which comes from Latin American indigenous movements and implies “right living” or life in balance with community, natural systems and future generations—the Buen Vivir Fund seeks to promote financial models and practices that support communities’ holistic well-being, as opposed to focusing solely on maximizing individuals’ capital accumulation.
Rather than imposing terms and models designed by investors, the Buen Vivir Fund aims to flip this traditional approach on its head: The Fund investment model is built upon identifying lending practices developed by grassroots groups themselves and which are already proving effective on the ground, and to uplift and apply these practices to the level of a global investment fund.
The latest on the Buen Vivir Fund:
- Buen Vivir Fund featured in high-profile study on the future of “social equity investing: A new report released at SOCAP 2016, In Pursuit of Deeper Impact, features the Buen Vivir Fund as a model case for investment that builds social equity.
- What it means to “trust the process” (and why we do it): A reflection from a founding investor in the Buen Vivir Fund
- Podcast by Regenerative Finance on the co-design process of the Buen Vivir Fund launch in Mexico City
- “Buen Vivir” versus “development”: Reflections for IDEX Program Intern Savannah Hicks from her masters research on buen vivir
- A Masterclass on Buen Vivir: Highlights from a masterclass on the concept of buen vivir, taught to the IDEX team by María Estela Barco Huerta of DESMI, a member of the Buen Vivir Fund founding circle.
Buen Vivir Fund Founding Circle
In its pilot phase, the Buen Vivir Fund is bringing together a “founding circle” of investors, grassroots groups, and ally-advisers. IDEX is partnering with Transform Finance on this initiative. IDEX is honored to announce that all of these people and organizations have been selected for their exceptional commitment to, and leadership in, developing forms of investment that support people, communities and the earth to thrive.
- Guatemala: AFEDES: Women’s Association for the Development of Sacatepéquez
- Guatemala: ISMU: Institute for Overcoming Urban Poverty
- India: GRAVIS
- Mexico: CIELO: Federación Indígena Empresarial y Comunidades Locales de México
- Mexico: DESMI: Social and Economic Development for Indigenous Mexicans
- Mexico: EduPaz
- Mexico: Ñepi Behña
- Nepal: Women’s Awareness Center Nepal
- South Africa: Ubunye Foundation
- South Africa: Whole World Women Association