IDEX identifies, evaluates, and grows the best ideas from local leaders and organizations to alleviate poverty and injustice around the world. IDEX connects a passionate and engaged network of supporters to the visionary leaders and organizations creating lasting solutions to their communities’ most pressing challenges.
- Robust civil societies in the global south, with effective Community Based Organizations (CBOs) that are building new, alternative systems & holding governments accountable to ensure systems work for the excluded and marginalized.
- CBOs are grounded in local communities, working in alliance regionally to impact national policy change, and mobilize broad public participation globally for justice.
- Philanthropy works to serve community-led initiatives through forging learning partnerships with grassroots groups.
- Courage: Having the strength to confront injustice and inequality
- Integrity: Living our deeply held values
- Community: Building authentic relationships for the common good
- Effectiveness: Achieving the goals of our vision
- Leadership: Sharing power and learning with all our stakeholders
- Innovation: Finding and amplifying creative and just solutions
Since its founding in 1985, IDEX has supported more than 500 grassroots, community-led projects in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Annually, IDEX’s partners serve approximately 1.2 million people in impoverished communities, including marginalized women, small farmers, indigenous communities, low-income urban residents, sexual and ethnic minorities, and youth.