Since 1985, hundreds of volunteers and interns have contributed thousands of hours to our work, which would simply not be possible without the time, talent, and dedication of these generous individuals. We welcome new ways to involve interns and volunteers to help us reach our goals.
IDEX receives many more applications than available positions. Due to the large number of applicants, we can not accept phone calls about volunteering. Please follow the email application process below. Our priority is to find the best match for our needs. Before applying please be aware of the following:
- All positions are in IDEX’s San Francisco office. We do not offer international/overseas internships.
- Only apply if you are based in the San Francisco Bay Area or planning to be in the area for at least 1 month (except for fundraising and special pro-bono projects).
- All intern and volunteer positions are unpaid.
- We cannot offer relocation assistance or reimbursement.
- Office hours are generally from 10am to 6pm, Monday through Friday. We need interns and volunteers during regular office hours.
- In general, volunteers must be able to commit to a minimum weekly schedule of 4 hours for a period of 1-2 months.
- Interns must be able commit to a minimum weekly schedule of 8-16 hours for a period of 4-6 months.
- IDEX does not offer full-time internships.
- Internships may be connected to a course of study. IDEX can assist in processing paperwork towards credit or grants.
- Necessary training, supervision and evaluation will be provided for volunteers and interns.
IDEX is looking to fill the following positions:
Development & Communications Volunteer: Responsible for admin support for the development & communications team, mainly data entry and digitizing files. Must be comfortable working with a database (Salesforce preferred). Familiarity with small nonprofit working environment. A commitment of 1-2 months at a minimum of 4 hrs. a week required (maximum of 10hrs/wk).
Spanish Translation Volunteer: must be fluent and/or bilingual in Spanish, able to meet deadlines and have great analytical skills. Also must be willing to help with admin support as needed (Translation of two paragraphs is required with application)
Please email your cover letter and résumé to [email protected]. If you are applying for the Spanish Translation Volunteer, include your translations of these two paragraphs with your application. Our Operations Coordinator, Veronica Moreno, will contact you after receipt of your application within 10 business days.