Position: IDEX Regional Program Director – Africa
Reports to: Executive Director
Desired Start Date: September 6, 2016
IDEX seeks a passionate grassroots advocate, grantmaker, capacity builder and network weaver to lead programmatic efforts regionally. The Regional Program Director – Africa will be responsible for working with existing grassroots partners in Africa to achieve short, medium and long term outcomes in four areas per our theory of change: Community Self-Determination; Organizational Resilience; Global Solidarity; and Social Justice Giving. Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a member of the International Programs Team, s/he/they will also collaborate closely with colleagues in Learning and Evaluation, Development and Communications and Operations to strengthen IDEX’s work in alignment with our newly revised theory of change. S/he/they must be passionate about IDEX’s mission and committed to IDEX’s theory of change. S/he/they must demonstrate the ability to motivate, excite and inspire people. S/he/they will be high performing, entrepreneurial and flexible, with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Grantmaking & Partnership Development
- Nurture strong relationships with grassroots partners in Africa based on mutual trust, respect and integrity, and according to IDEX values and principles
- Actively participate in regional networks, coalitions and alliances that are relevant to the work of IDEX’s grantee partners
- Conduct 1-2 extensive site visits per year in Africa
- Review and approve grants, ensuring that they are aligned with IDEX’s strategy and in compliance with international grantmaking regulations
- Manage a portfolio of international partners and grantees, communicate with partners about their work, request workplans and reports, draft grant agreements, conduct review processes, and track all documentation
- Undertake organizational development assessments, develop capacity building resources, training and information to support partner groups, and accompany organizational growth
- Provide written program development summary reports to ED and board on a quarterly basis
- Research and network to develop funding resources for IDEX partners, including awards nominations; support partners when needed with accessing these resources
- Dialogue regularly with grantee partners and regional advisors and allies
- Recruit and manage regional consultants when needed; draft guidelines for specific assignment
- Work with the program staff, ED and board in establishing funding priorities
Learning and Evaluation
- In collaboration with the program team, conduct periodic revisions of program processes, such as partner selection criteria and indicators, monitoring and evaluation procedures, site visit protocols
- Analyze and synthesize reports and workplans with particular attention to finances, budgeting, programmatic strategy, and contextual information to enhance learning efforts at IDEX
- Conduct/support 1-2 extensive learning exchanges in Africa.
- Write field reports and blogs and ensure transfer of information to relevant staff and board
- Carry out appropriate monitoring and evaluation procedures
- Support efforts to document IDEX’s impact and disseminate findings of key learnings about IDEX’s Africa program
- Integrate learning from our partners’ work and context, alliance-building work and all assessments of program processes, systems and impact into programmatic and organizational learning and strategy development
- Further develop IDEX’s value added grantmaking partnership model and articulate the same concisely and powerfully in IDEX’s partnership materials.
- Support the organization’s communications efforts by writing, editing and contributing to promotional pieces, blogs and policy papers
Alliance Building & Diaspora Engagement
- Analyze, assess and create opportunities to build strategic alliances with relevant movements and organizations in the U.S. and abroad
- Build and maintain a solidarity network of US and international contacts for information sharing and alliance-building
- Activate increased participation and learning from and within movements in the US and globally in support of partners’ work as well as that of IDEX
- Along with Development & Communications team, coordinate partner visits to the U.S.
- Attend conferences and events on behalf of IDEX and participate in public speaking opportunities to raise awareness about grassroots-led social change.
- Integrate diaspora programming into IDEX’s Africa work and build deeper connections with the African diaspora communities.
- Manage IDEX’s diaspora outreach program coordinator
Management and Resource Mobilization
- Work collegially with other regional directors to ensure cross-regional alignment of program strategies, learnings, resource mobilization and communication
- Provide supervision, evaluate performance, set goals and encourage professional growth for program staff and interns
- Hire and supervise consultants and contractors, as needed
- Participate in annual departmental budgeting and track spending within budget parameters
- Support the organization’s fundraising efforts by developing content for and participating in donor engagement programs; contributing content and input for proposals and reports; and nurturing relationships with IDEX institutional donors
- Outstanding critical thinking skills with an openness to discussing and contesting ideas and recommendations, and the mental flexibility to change course as needed
- Cross-cultural relationship-building skills; able to partner effectively both with not-for-profit leaders and with leaders from peer organizations
- Demonstrated cultural competency and resourcefulness
- Excellent analytical skills to ensure strong learning, evaluation and impact assessment.
- Excellent research and learning skills to enhance understanding of civil society in the Global South including changing social, cultural, political, ecological and economic conditions.
- Demonstrated organizational development and capacity building experience
- Strong communication skills, particularly writing, editing and synthesizing complex information.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and work under deadlines
- Experience and desire to work cooperatively within a team environment with an emphasis on learning and continuous improvement.
- Ability to travel domestically, and internationally for periods of up to a month, one to two times per year.
- Ability to evaluate and interpret not-for-profit financial statements
- Engaged in social justice networks, alliances and coalitions including community-based organizations within the United States.
- Experience working with or a strong understanding of local or grassroots organizations and movements in African countries
- Fieldwork experience in East, Southern or West Africa.
- Accustomed to high professional standards and expectations.
- Flexibility, adaptability to work in a highly diverse and multicultural workplace, and a sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 6 years of experience within social sector organizations
- 3 years of experience supervising staff and volunteers.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment and passion for IDEX’s mission of global solidarity and equity.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, etc.)
- Knowledge and experience with international grantmaking processes and compliance
- Fluency in at least two of the following languages: French, Spanish, Portuguese, English
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with general database systems (Salesforce and Classy preferable).
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your name and “Regional Program Director – Africa” in the subject line. Applications are due by 5 pm PDT on July 1, 2016.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with IDEX. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
IDEX is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.
IDEX will not accept any calls or email inquiries about this position at this stage.